From KRON 4
As fire danger grows in Northern California, hundreds of thousands of people will lose power, PG&E announced.
Officials said it will happen early Wednesday morning through Thursday.
The power shutoff could affect up to 800,000 PG&E customers in Northern and Central California, including several schools.
Multiple districts may be impacted. Check back to see if your school will be closed as KRON4 learns more.
Here is a list of impacted schools:
- The University of California, Berkeley has canceled all classes on Wednesday. The campus will remain open but services will be limited.
- Jensen Ranch
- Proctor Elementary Schools
- Canyon Middle School
For more information, the district will keep residents up to date on the website.
The school district is saying that only one school may be affected.
- Stonebrae Elementary
All schools will be open in the district at this time.
All schools in the district will be closed on Wednesday, Oct. 9 and Thursday, Oct. 10.
The Oakland Unified School District announced that 12 schools may be closed if the power is shut off:
- Grass Valley Elementary
- Howard Elementary
- Parker Elementary
- Montclair Elementary
- Sequoia Elementary
- Fruitvale Elementary
- Elmhurst United Middle School
- Bret Harte Middle School
- Skyline High
- Rudsdale High
- Sojourner Truth
- BayTech Charter School
- Mills College announced that the campus will be closed on Wednesday and Thursday.
If you are a parent or guardian to a student at one of these 12 schools, the district hopes to know whether that campus will be closed by 8 p.m. on Tuesday night.
At that time, a call will be made to notify families of the closures.
Officials say how the wiring is configured in Oakland is how it was determined which school’s power will shut off.
If students show up on campus Wednesday morning, staff will be there to alert the students and parents.
At this time, the 71 other schools in the district will be in session.
Oakland officials remind residents to sign up for notifications and updates on www.acalert.org during an outage.
- All schools in the Alum Rock Union School District will be closed on Wednesday, Oct. 9 and Thursday, Oct. 10.
San Jose Unified School District will remain open despite shutoffs.
All schools in the district will be closed on Wednesday, Oct. 9.
These schools will be closed on Wednesday, Oct. 9:
- Maria Carrillo High
- Rincon Valley Middle
- Santa Rosa Middle
- Hidden Valley Elementary
- Proctor Terrace Elementary
- Santa Rosa Accelerated Charter School
- Lewis Education Center
- Santa Rosa Junior College
All after school programs, including childcare and athletics, will be canceled.
All SRJC campuses and sites will remain closed until the community is notified. Activities and classes, including online, are canceled.
- All Solano Community College locations will be closed on Wednesday, including online classes.
This list of districts will be closed on Wednesday, Oct. 9:
- Bennett Valley Union School District
- Mark West Union School District (closed Wednesday with a projected closure on Thursday, Oct. 10 as well)
- Sonoma Valley Unified School District (closed Wednesday through Friday)
- Windsor Unified School District (closed Wednesday with a projected closure on Thursday, Oct. 10 as well)